Under a GOP-backed bill expected to sail through the House of Representatives, the Internal Revenue Service would be forced to police how Americans have paid for their abortions. To ensure that taxpayers complied with the law, IRS agents would have to investigate whether certain terminated pregnancies were the result of rape or incest. (LINK)
Make no mistake. This is an end-around maneuver designed to subvert the law. Abortions are legal in the United States. The Supreme Courts have upheld the decision that laws obstructing women’s access to reproductive care violate their right to equal treatment under the law. Threatening audit after a rape is an unconscionable attempt to bully women out of seeking or receiving abortions.
- MoveOn.org (ynative77.wordpress.com)
- No Means …Um … Well.. it depends.. (breadnroses.ca)
- GOP Bill Would Force IRS to Conduct Abortion Audits (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
- HR 3 Requires IRS To Perform Abortion Audits (crooksandliars.com)
- H.R. 3: An End Sweep of Rights (blogcritics.org)